Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Missmissmissmissmiss!!"

This is how the students get your attention. The kids are worse. They generally say "miss" 3-4 more times than the adults do, and I'm also a little afraid they're going to dislocate their shoulders with how they raise their hands.

I've been teaching parts of lessons and will graduate to teaching whole lessons pretty soon. Amideast has a really good orientation/mentoring program for new teachers, so I don't think it's going to be a big problem to start with my own class soon.

I'm unfortunately beginning to realize how closed off even Tunisia is (as one of the more progressive Arab countries) from the rest of the world. About half of my adult class yesterday told me the capital of the U.S. is New York City, and their Europe geography is not much better.

I've also been getting shocked reactions from most Tunisians when I say I'm from Chicago.

"But Miss! It is so dangerous!"

I ask why they think Chicago is so dangerous, and more than one person has said "Al Capone!" and pretended his hand was a gun. I may have to teach a lot more very basic American culture than I expected.

It's kind of funny: I'm actually not sure what's more embarrassing- Tunisians associating Chicago with Al Capone or Germans associating it with Al Bundy.


In other news, rumor has it there's a sheep fight this weekend that other teachers are planning to go to. Who knew sheep fought?

No comments: