Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sidi Bou Said

I'm writing this way after the fact, so it's going to be a lot less anecdotal than I'm sure it was at the time. I went with one of my roommates to Sidi Bou Said for a day, which is a UNESCO World Heritage place. If you've ever seen pictures of Tunisia, it's probably a toss-up as to whether they're of Sidi Bou Said or one of the places Star Wars was filmed.

There's an ordinance in the town that every building needs to be painted white with bright blue trim, and there are bunches of flowers everywhere. The rumor mill tells me the blue was originally meant to keep mosquitoes away. There's a big marina, a beach, and a whole lot of really prettily painted doors. Also not to be missed are the throngs of tourists that get dumped there for the afternoon ("Heya Deb, I thought for sure we lost ya back there!").

We went in some really old houses and then hiked out to the cliffs where young Tunisian couples clandestinely sit next to each other in public.

Here are a couple of the pictures I took:


Tunisia-lovin' camel

The marina

Desert and ocean...at the saaame time

The Sidi Bou Said Mosque

Sidi BOO!

Mystery tunnel

Loveboids

No comments: